Places to See
The Arrakkal Museum is a museum dedicated to the Arakkal family,
the only Muslim royal family in Kerala, south India. The museum
is actually a section of the Arakkalkettu (Arakkal Palace).
The durbar hall section of the palace has been converted into
a museum by the Government of Kerala. It was opened in July
2005 after a Rs. 9,000,000 renovation.
Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary
A mere 55 sq.kms in area and located on the western slopes
of the Western Ghats, the Aralam sanctuary is the northern
most wildlife sanctuary of Kerala. It was established in 1984.
The headquarters of the sanctuary is near Iritty, a small
town about 55 kms from Kannur. The sanctuary adjoins the Central
State Farm at Aralam. It lies between north latitude 11°50'
and 11° 52' and east longitude 75° 49' and 75°
Payyambalam beach is one of the most beautiful
beaches in Kerala. Here rest the brave nationalist and political
leaders like Swadeshabhimani K. Ramakrishna pilla, A.K.G.
and Chadayan Govindan. This is two kms away from Kannur town
and near the St. Angelos Fort. This beach, having laterite
rock jutting out into the sea on one end, is a neat and long
one which is a relief to the tourists who seek rest away from
the modern city life.
Fort St. Angelo
Facing the sea, this is one of the most attractive centers
in Kannur district in Kerala. It is also known as Kannur Fort.
This fort is 3 kms away from Kannur town in the western direction.
The fort stands close by the Arabian Sea. This fort proclaims
the strength and beauty of Portuguese architecture. The two
sides of the fort facing the sea was built in a triangular
shape. It was Don Francisco De Almeida, the first Portuguese
Viceroy, who laid the foundation stone of this fort with the
permission of Kolathiris in 23 October 1505.
The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold
it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790-it came into
the possession of the British. This fort is now under the
control of Archaeological Survey of India.
It has a length of 4.5 kms. The special feature
of this beach is that the vehicles can be driven without getting
stuck into the sea sand. This is why the beach is considered
to be the only drive in beach in the State. This beach which
extends from Muzhuppilangad to Moithu Bridge is considered
as swimmers’ paradise since there are no waves in this
part due to the rocks here and there and the sea is not deep.
This beach is 15 kms away from Kannur in the south direction
and 8 kms away from Thalassery in the north direction. A tourist
can reach this beach through five panchayat roads starting
from the National Highway.
This small Island which is situated in the
sea like a green spot just 100 m away from shore, becomes
a blissful experience to tourists. This isle is full of coconut
trees. There is only a well here as the symbol of human presence.
One can reach this place by boat from southern part of Moithu
bridge in the national highway. During ebb time one can reach
here by foot. From this isle one can see the rocks around
and the beauty of Muzhuppilangad beach and the distant beauty
of Thalassery town. When Dharmadam isle was an important trading
center, this isle was in the possession of Chirakkal king.
Later it passed into the hands of the English.
The fort is situated in the Thiruvallippad hill of Thalassery
town, 20 kms away from Kannur in the south direction. It was
constructed by the British East India Company in the year
1708. this fort has to tell many stories of the victory and
defeat of Kalathiri, Tippu Sultan and Pazhassi Raja.
This fort is built of red bricks in an area
of two acres. The British used this frt as a jail and currency
manufactory. It was here that the leader of the Hyder Ali’s
army was imprisoned and the death bed of Swathi Thirunal’s
successor was arranged. Thalassery silver coins were also
minted here. St. John’s Church is nearby this fort.
Here rests Edward Brennen who contributed significantly to
the cultural and educational fields of Thalassery. As such
this place has assumed the prominence of a pilgrim center.
This dam site is 11 kms away from the birth
place of Pazhassi Raja and 37 kms away from Kannur. The dam
site is across the Kuyilurpuzha. It is a very beautiful spot.
Boating facilities are arranged to attract tourists.
It is 44 kms away from Thaliparampu and 4500
feet above the sea leve. These huge mountains lay spread over
500 acres of land. This is a dense forest area. One can go
by bus upto Pottanplavu. From there jeep can be driven for
six kms. After that, 2 km walk by foot. North of Paithalmala
is Kudaku forest.
The Residence of the Gundert
The Gundert Bungalow is situate at Illikkunnu,
2 kms away from Thalassery near the National Highway. It was
here that Gundert, the German missionary and the plyglot resided
for 20 years from 1839. he made invaluable contributions to
the Malayalam language.
Vismaya Amusement Park
Vismaya Infotainment Park is a modern themed
amusement park built in 27 acres of scenic spot near Parassinikkadavu,
Kannur. The park promoted by the Malabar Tourism Development
Co-operative Ltd (MTDC) is designed to provide healthy and